The completion of the PhD in Musicology implies the acquisition, by students, of the following goals and skills:
- capacity for systematic understanding and knowledge of the advances in the specific fields of Historical Musicology, Ethnomusicology or the Psychology and Pedagogy of Music;
- understanding of the relevant research methodologies and techniques in the area of Musicology as well as their appropriate application in the above-mentioned scientific fields;
- ability to conceive and plan a relevant research in the area of Musicology, by establishing the goals of that research and its intermediate stages, respecting the requirements imposed by the standards of academic quality and integrity;
- demonstrated creativity, innovation and originality in the approach to research;
- the ability to analyse and critically evaluate their own and others' research results;
- the ability to establish scientific relations with the rest of the national and international academic community, acquiring a comprehensive view of the context in which research in the fields of Historical Musicology, Ethnomusicology and Psychology and Pedagogy of Music takes place;
- the ability to conduct original research work that contributes to expanding the frontiers of knowledge in the area of Musicology and that merits, in part or in whole, national or international dissemination in peer-reviewed journals.
Associated Research Units
Areas Of expertise
- Specializations in:
- Historical Musicology
- Psychology and Pedagogy of Music
Duration: 8 semesters. Total Credits: 240 credits (60 in curricular units + 180 in the non-taught component).
Modalities of non-taught component: Thesis.
Number of credits on a free-choice basis: 10 credits. The free-choice seminar may be chosen from among the postgraduate courses offered at NOVA FCSH; by other departments of the Nova University of Lisbon, or by other Portuguese or foreign higher education institutions, by agreement or protocol.
The degree of Doctor corresponds to level 8 of the NQF/EQF - National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.