The PhD in Political Science is structured so that, at the end of the course, the student demonstrates:
- an understanding of the theoretical problems and analytical traditions of the discipline, allowing a critical participation in the debates in the disciplinary area;
- methodological skills in terms of the conceptualisation and operationalisation of research, as well as the collection, systematisation and processing of data;
- competences in the scientific specialization, namely through integration in research projects;
- capacity for the practice of autonomous research, leading to a doctoral thesis that presents original and innovative results that contribute to the advancement of knowledge;
- a capacity for communication and scientific debate of the procedures and results of research, namely through the presentation of conference papers and publication in scientific journals;
- an ability to respond to the challenges of the contemporary world.
Associated Research Units
Areas Of expertise
- Institutions and Political Processes
- Political Theory and Analysis
- Elites and Political Behaviour
- Public Policies
Duration: 8 semesters. Total Credits: 240 credits (60 in curricular units + 180 in the non-taught component).
Modalities of non-taught component: Thesis.
Number of credits on a free-choice basis: 10 credits. The free-choice seminar may be chosen from among the postgraduate courses offered at NOVA FCSH; by other departments of the Nova University of Lisbon, or by other Portuguese or foreign higher education institutions, by agreement or protocol.
The degree of Doctor corresponds to level 8 of the NQF/EQF - National Qualifications Framework/European Qualifications Framework.